This Action Circle is working to create jobs by growing and sustaining the long-term economic vitality within Durham’s food system.
Economy is currently meeting with the Farming and Natural Resources Action Circle. Please see their page here to find out the next meeting date.
Meeting Attendance for July 14, 2016
Economy Action Circle Members
LeDarrell Murray A
Margaret Scarboro P
Cindy Hamrick P
A = Absent P = Present
o The meeting commenced at 6 pm
• Facilitated by Margaret Scarboro, Acting Chair
• Current Activities and Member Input
• Contact Marc Dreyfors about local growers and farmers who have produce available for new markets and institutional food services. Contact him through DFFN website for Coordinating Council.
• New food system information or activities related to food waste since the last meeting:
Recommend contacting Erin Jobe at 919-280-3326 or Le Shawna Austria at 336-512-4370 at the Carrboro Farmers’ Market for more information on their Compost Pilot Program athttp://www.carrborofarmersmarket.com/compost-pilot-program.
• Open Discussions
• What are Durham’s most important challenges and innovative opportunities to improve the Durham food system as a network?
Funding is still a major issue for local farmers – brainstorming needs to be done to support financial support for new and small farms and local food endeavors.
Recommend contacting Jill Epner Willett, Founder at Triangle Food Makers at 919-665-9035 or at firstname.lastname@example.org, to get local food producers involved with the Economy Action Circle.
• Open Discussions (continued)
Recommend scheduling future meetings in a more casual setting, i.e., at a host farm – covered dish perhaps (Carolina Farmhouse offered to host),or at a farm-to-fork restaurant or local coffee house (Joe Van Gogh, Counter Culture, etc)
• DFFN Coordinating Council Meeting on 07/26/16 at 6 pm in County Extension Services Building (Room TBA).
• Meeting adjourned at 7 pm.
• Next Meetings
o August 11, 2016 at 6 pm
o September 9, 2016 at 6 pm
• October 14, 2016 at 6 pm
Thank you for reviewing Meeting Notes for the Economy Action Circle!
We invite you to send an email to email@example.com to offer your recommendation for a casual and convenient meeting place to discuss your thoughts regarding Green Jobs and policies to help improve sustainable food system practices in Durham!