This Action Circle is working to support Durham farmers to be economically viable and environmentally sustainable.
The Farming and Natural Resources Action Circle typically meets at 902 N. Mangum St. in Durham (corner of Mangum and Geer Street) from 6:30-8pm. These meetings are open to the public so please come out and take part of this awesome movement!
Our next meeting is:
- November 8, 2017 at Durham County Cooperative Extension (721 Foster St, Durham) in the large conference room. Just tell the security guard on the way in and he’ll point you in the right direction!
- After taking the summer off, we are looking forward to regrouping and:
- Sharing information on what we accomplished and learned with the Plant-a-Row program this summer.
- Sharing updates on DFFN’s broader Policy Priorities initiative.
- Discussing our focus heading into 2018, including finding some folks to lead sub-activities.
- Durham county existing initiative / stakeholder / key-player / funds mapping exercise for each prioritized area of focus
- Educational and community involvement programs (e.g., Durham Urban Farm Tour similar to CFSA Rural Farm Tours)
- One-stop-shop website / resource that connects farmers with necessary info “So you want to be a farmer? Start Here”
- Farmer apprenticeship programs
- New-farmer incentives and increased customer access (overlap with Economic Action Circle)
- Reduce food system waste (e.g., promote excess / unwanted produce donation / collection in partnership with Porch and Interfaith Food Shuttle)
- Increase organic / sustainable farming practices
- Preserve farmland
This is a one-pager that summarizes the issues and areas of focus we’ve identified to-date. Can you think of any more? DFFN_FNR_Issues_Summary_04112016
- Notes from May 9, 2016 Meeting: DFFN FNR May 9 Meeting Minutes 5-16-2016
- Notes from June 20, 2016 Meeting: DFFN FNR June 20 Meeting Minutes 6-25-2016-2
- Notes from July 11, 2016 Meeting: DFFN FNR July 11 Meeting Minutes 7-18-2016-3
- Notes from August 8, 2016 Meeting: DFFN FNR Aug 8 Meeting Minutes 8-15-2016-2
- Notes from September 15, 2016 Meeting: DFFN FNR Sept 15 Meeting Minutes 9-22-2016
- Notes from October 13, 2016 Meeting: DFFN FNR October Minutes 10-18-2016
- Notes from November 10, 2016 Meeting: DFFN FNR November Meeting Minutes 11-16-2016-2
- Latest Farmer Survey (updated based on discussion): DFFN Farmer Survey 11-16-16-2
- Notes from December 6, 2016 Meeting: DFFN FNR December Meeting Minutes 12-6-2016
- Notes from January 17, 2017 Meeting: DFFN FNR January Meeting Minutes 1-17-2017
- Notes from February 15, 2017 Meeting: DFFN FNR February Meeting Minutes 2-15-2017
- Notes from May 10, 2017 Meeting: DFFN FNR May Meeting Minutes 5-10-2017
If you’re interested in learning more about the Farming and Natural Resources Action Circle or have questions about meeting locations, please contact Emily Holleran at email@example.com.
In other fun news…
Durham Soil and Water is hosting a series of FREE Urban Agricultural Workshops! Be sure to check them out!
Want to garden more sustainably?
Want to become an urban farmer?
Want to be a better environmental steward?
Urban Agricultural Workshop- flyer
Durham Soil and Water invites you to join them for a series of urban agriculture and conservation training workshops from October 2016 through June 2017.